Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Better Food Pyramid

Some of the food pyramids I've seen include marginal foods and confuse the essential elements of the diet. Here's my take on the heart of the paleo diet:




*This pyramid represents volume, not calories. The bulk of calories comes from animal sources.

I certainly eat outside of this pyramid from time to time, but this is the model of perfection that I strive for and that helps me stay true to the core food categories. A few notes:

Fresh is best. Homegrown > Local Farm > Grocery > Canned

Raw maximizes nutrient delivery. Many foods lose nutrient value when cooked, and many foods that require cooking are starchy, which negatively affects insulin response over time.

Grass-fed AND grass-finished. It's important to clarify this with your local farmer, as grain-finished meat compromises its nutrient profile for 'better' flavor.

Focus on food quality. Being new to North Carolina, I'm taking time to learn the local farms and their methods before selecting where my meat comes from.

Hopefully this pyramid will be a helpful interpretation that is easier to understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome! What do you think?